Friday, June 11, 2004

So, um, yeah, I've had a few days off from work and I'm bored out of my gourd, so much so that I'm contemplating cleaning both bathrooms YMCA-style at the house as something to occupy my time.

In Jesus-related news, throughout May I had been using Magnificat, a publication of morning, evening, and night prayers akin to the Liturgy of the Hours which also includes the daily Mass readings as well as reflections and snippets of saints' lives. So I was praying three times a day, reciting old hymns (not singing them because, thanks to the infinite wisdom of American liturgists who do not use most of the Church's great repertoire of music, I don't know the melodies), meditating upon the Psalms, and joining with Mary, Zechariah, and Simeon in their canticles to the Lord. It was very fruitful.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to the Catholic bookstore before they sold out of June's issue, so I've been going without this form of regular prayer for the past couple weeks. I really notice a difference in not just my prayer life but also my everyday life (apparently those are two different things...). Maybe I will save up to purchase the Liturgy of the Hours, since that is a luxury following groceries and rent.