Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Just returned from rubbing elbows at the Department of Philosophy and Religion Student Recognition Reception. Afterwards while talking to Mr. Andrew Miller about how he as a leisure services/religion double major felt out of place among the philosophy faculty and students, I realized how much I don't "fit in" either.

Even though the event's formal presentation of scholarships and recognition of graduating seniors was relaxed, the whole thing still had a pompous air about it. The mingling and conversations were all too academic, as though everyone had decended from their ivory towers but their heads were still in the clouds. So though I've always felt it was true, I've come to the realization that I'm much earthier than the archetypal philosophy student.

Maybe that's why I'm not really interested in professorship or unversity work. It feels too compartmentalized, too metaphysical, devorced from and dismissive of the grittiness of life. I can't do that, because it seems imcomplete to me.

Whether that's actually the case or just my preception, I don't know. But philosophy's apparent inaccessibility could be part of the reason why people say "You must be pretty smart" when I tell what I study. And it's compartmentalization could also explain the inevitable question: "What are you going to do with a philosophy major?"

Whatever it is, it will have to be earthy and gritty.