Thursday, March 30, 2006

A-wandering Out on the Hills of Iowa

I have returned from the Great State of Iowa, where strangers wave to each other, sweet corn is a complete dinner, and pigs outnumber people about seven to one.

Spent a couple of days in Des Moines, the city on which almost every person I know cenverged (including Mazvita), though I didn't get to see them all.

Saturday night I hopped back into the car for a few hours to return to the Oak, where Brother and Sarah came to visit. So I got to see the whole family, including Jacob Cole.

Following my seven hour car ride Thursday, Tonia dragged me to the Windsor Heights Wal-Mart (such trips are another great Iowa pastime). This is the Wal-Mart where a Drake University student spent 41 hours last week during his spring break.

The Des Moines Register broke the story a few days ago and it captured America's imagination. Since then he's been on Good Morning, America and NPR and possibly will appear on Letterman in a few days.

Iowa, how I miss thee.