Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Great YMCA Hemorrhage

There was quite a long of excitement in the YMCA of the Rockies Housekeeping department whilst I was in Iowa. I learned of some of it when I pulled up behind Dennis, who leapt from his car at the Mary's Lake Road stoplight my first morning back to work.

Cowboy Brad turned in his resignation as Housekeeping Director two weeks ago. His last day will be tomorrow. Then days after his announcement, the Laundry Manager also resigned effective the end of December. And days prior to all this, one of the senior laundry attendants, Johnnie, had quit over continuing problems with the linen driver and the repeated failure of her manager to adequately address the matter.

Brad and Sandy are only the latest in a long line of full-time staff to leave the Y. Casualties also include two from Food Service, seven (or eight--I've lost count) from Buildings and Grounds, and one from Human Resources. Who knows how many may follow.

All I know is that the last time I took a few extra days, the linen driver physically assaulted one of our floaters. Obviously I am the hinge pin on which the door of peace swings. What will happen when my time at the Y comes to a close? I shudder to think.

So there will be several interesting weeks ahead in Housekeeping, especially since bazillions of Brazilians are arriving this weekend. We'll see how the dust settles.

And now a plea to my Iowa friends: Even though I indeed brought my camera with me on my trip, I failed to use it. Would anyone who has pictures of the celebrated event mind emailing me some? It would certainly help me illustrate the story here in the future.