Monday, July 07, 2003

Well, I had planned on hiking today, but last night I got a call from my roommate, Tony. He had been in Grand Junction since Wednesday, having taken a Greyhound from Denver. He'd misunderstood the bus time table and missed the bus yesterday; the next earliest bus left at 2:00 this morning. So he needed someone to be at Denver at 6:45 to pick him up. I, being a good person and a fantastic roommate, woke up at 5:30 to get there on time. When we got back at a quarter to 10:00, I just went back to sleep.

Didn't do anything exciting for my birthday. But they treated me really well at work. They decorated the van I was driving with balloons and streamers, and our office manager Tina kept calling me "Birthday Boy" on the two-way radio. One of my crews even gave me a present: a feathery pink sleeping mask they found in one cabin.

The mask matches the pink robe I found and wore all day yesterday. To greet passers-by, I stuck my hand out the van window and waved a white rag. We also had a group of ninjas checking out; co-driver Scott and I were afraid that they could attack us at any moment. Ninjas fight all the time, after all. We had a lot of fun, though it was just a little wierd.

Hope to do some hiking tomorrow, maybe FHO--Flattop, Halletts, and Otis.

More later.